If an arrest warrant is out in your name in Lafourche County, LA, members of the local Sherriff’s Department will, without a doubt, be on the lookout for you. When the county’s criminal court newly issues an arrest order, it is called an active arrest warrant. However, over time, when the warrant is not executed, it is saved in the system as an outstanding arrest warrant.
You can and will be arrested with both an active as well as an outstanding warrant. In fact, if the matter pertains to a serious felony, you can be arrested in any part of the country. An arrest warrant does not come with an expiry, so the order can remain valid for life till such time that you are arrested by the cops or turn yourself in.
There is only one scenario in which the court might withdraw an already issued warrant. This exclusively happens if another person is implicated in the said crime. In this case, the warrant is removed from the central database.
The public does not have access to the FBI hosted national database of crime, which works as a central repository for warrants from all over the nation. So, if you want to know if the name of a person you know figures in this database, you will have to approach the Sherriff’s Department of Lafourche County, Louisiana.
While you can walk into their office located at 200 Canal Blvd, Thibodaux, Louisiana 70301 and ask for this information, you will be expected to carry an ID along. This is done to ensure that you are not a suspect trying to determine the status of a warrant out in your name. So, although the number of the law enforcement agency is being listed here, it would be quite futile to talk to them over the phone.
What Lafourche Parish agency should you approach for an over-the-phone warrant search and arrests inquiry? (Update: 2021)
- To learn more about arrests and prisoners, contact the Lafourche Parish Detention Center at (985) 449-4458.
- For general information, reach out to the Sheriff’s Office at (985) 448-2111.
- For arrest records and incident reports, get in touch with the Records Unit at (985) 449-4420.
- For investigation-related inquiries, contact the Crime Investigation Division at (985) 532-2255 (for victims only).
- To get information on outstanding arrest warrants, contact the City Court at 985-446-7238.
- To speak with the victim’s advocate, contact the District Attorney’s Office at 985-447-2003.
- For information on submitting a request for a criminal background check and court case records, contact the Clerk of Court’s Office at 985-447-4841.
Crime statistics of Lafourche Parish
In 2019, around 2,315 crimes were reported in Lafourche Parish. Of these, nearly 2100 were property crimes, and around 230 were violent crimes.
The reported property crimes included nearly 1530 larceny-theft cases and over 450 burglary complaints, among others. The violent crime total included approximately 190 instances of aggravated assault and 24 cases of rape.
Older crime statistics
From the year 1999 to 2008, nearly 17,000 crimes were reported in Lafourche. While the annual crime rate of just about 1700 is not particularly worrisome, the fact that 20% of these cases are violent crimes does raise concerns.
With the decade-long average of murder and rape standing at roughly 20 and 120 cases respectively and thefts at an all-time high of nearly 13,000 incidents, it would certainly be prudent to take the time out to do a warrant search on new acquaintances.